The New Suspension Bridge – Niagara Falls, Currier & Ives

D'Amour Museum of Fine Arts

Falls in background; bridge crossing from cliffs on left to grasslands on right. Eight (8) people walking across grasslands toward bridge.

The New Suspension Bridge – Niagara Falls On March 18, 1855, the second story of a double-decker suspension bridge that spanned the Niagara River north of Niagara Falls opened to train and foot traffic. The second level was created by John A. Roebling, the designer of the Brooklyn Bridge. In this image, Currier & Ives show the bridge under construction. The railway has been completed but the additional deck for pedestrians has yet to be added. American Falls, Goat Island and Horseshoe Falls can be seen in the background. The firm often celebrated the latest technology by glorifying new structures and minimizing the environmental impact they had on the landscape.

Object Creator
Currier & Ives (American, 1834-1907)
Object Creation Date
Hand-colored lithograph
8 5/8 x 12 13/16 inches
Gift of Lenore B. and Sidney A. Alpert supplemented with Museum Acquistions Funds
Accession Number
On View?
Image Request
Request Image for Reproduction