Vaulted arch to tomb entrance. Man and woman standing to left of entrance. Two women and two children standing to right entrance – total of six people. Three identical titles (2004.D03.046 FAC #6109; and 2004.D03.091 FAC #6108). In .046 there are 5 people total; in .091 there is one person
Throughout the 19th century American citizens and visitors from abroad continued to visit the tomb of George Washington at Mount Vernon paying homage to the great hero. The original tomb, designed for the basement of the United States Capitol building, was two levels beneath the ornate Capitol rotunda. Its plan included a glass floor which would allow the public to view the tomb of the first American President. This idea was never implemented because Washington was buried at his estate at the request of his widow. Washington’s remains originally rested in a small vault constructed for his brother Lawrence. They stayed in that location until April of 1831, when Washington’s heirs constructed a new and larger vault. The remains of George and Martha Washington lie in two marble sarcophagi inside the tomb.