Springfield Science Museum, Second Floor
The guitar is the single most enduring icon in American history. This fully immersive exhibition gives visitors an opportunity to interact with the guitar from the historical perspective, focusing on its evolution and design, the music that guitars have helped to create, and the continued improvements in guitar technology. Featuring more than 60 instruments from the rare and antique to the wildly popular and innovative, along with performance video and audio, hands-on interactives, touch screens, and photographs.
In the Science Museum…
Guitars from 1960’s–present, including:
- The “Rock Ock”, world’s only playable 8-necked guitar
- The World’s Largest Playable Guitar (43 feet long!)
The Science of Guitars and their Sound, including:
- The mechanics and physics of building and playing guitars
- How pick-ups and amplifiers transmit signals on electric guitars
- Strobe-light displays of vibrations on guitar strings
- Design your own guitar station
$3 special exhibition fee for all visitors ages 3 and up in addition to museum admission.
Exhibit organized by the National Guitar Museum.