Call for Entries!
Celebrate the arrival of spring at the Museums! Soak up the color and the fragrance while enjoying more than 40 interpretive floral arrangements in the science and art museums. Now in its seventh year, Festival of Flowers features the talent and creativity of local florists, garden clubs, and flower enthusiasts. Think you may be interested in creating an arrangement? Check out the list of museum objects selected for interpretation!
March 1 Registration deadline
March 25 Material list and design statement deadline
April 4 Arrangement drop-off; Festival opens
April 8 Arrangement pick-up
Registration and Arrangement Locations
- Registration forms must be received no later than Friday, March 1, 2019.
- The Springfield Museums will confirm the availability of the museum object you selected.
- Each object will have a pre-assigned pedestal. You will be notified in March as to the specific measurements. If you anticipate needing a pedestal shorter than 36 inches or wider than 20 inches, please let Larissa know ASAP.
- In order to create exhibit labels, Springfield Museums staff must have a list of included floral material. Please email Larissa with this list no later than Monday, March 25.
- All confirmed registrants will receive a one-day pass to the Springfield Museums to be used to view their museum object and location in preparation for Festival of Flowers. Passes will be valid until Wednesday, April 3.
- Additionally, each registrant will receive two free tickets to Culture & Cocktails on Thursday, April 4. All four museums will be open for guests to view the arrangements. Entertainment and hors d’oeuvres are included. Tickets will be mailed upon receipt of registration.
- You may submit an optional design statement to be displayed on the exhibit label. Please send the statement to Larissa by Monday, March 25.
Delivery and Pick Up Procedure
- All floral arrangements must be delivered to the Springfield Museums between 7:00 and 8:30 am on Thursday, April 4.
- Museum staff will be available in each museum to direct participants, answer questions and verify label text. At this time, an amended materials list may be submitted.
- Please leave your assigned area clean and free of debris on delivery and pick up days. Pedestals must remain dry and clean at all times.
- A complimentary breakfast of coffee, juice and pastries will be provided in the Blake House Café between 7:30 and 9 am. Those participants who wish to preview the newly installed arrangements must meet at Blake House Café at 9 am for a tour. Please note, participants are not allowed to tour the museums on their own Thursday morning.
- All floral arrangements must be picked up on Monday, April 8, 2019 between 9 am and 12 pm. Those not claimed will be discarded at the end of the day. We are unable to offer exceptions to the stated time.
Design Regulations and Arrangement Placement
- All flowers must be purchased or procured from a wholesale distributor or a professional florist.
- Non-treated materials, such as garden flowers, fresh produce, or branch cuttings, are not permitted within the museum galleries.
- Arrangements should be in water or Oasis foam; soil is not allowed in the museums.
- Electric devices, including LED lights, are not permitted.
- The use of hot glue guns or other glue application is not permitted in the galleries.
Design Regulations and Arrangement Placement (continued)
- Please test containers for leakage prior to arrival. Please check inner plastic linings for cracks.
- No drapery or other pedestal covering is allowed.
- If using moss or ribbon, please make sure both are clear of the water supply to prevent wicking and eventual dripping from the arrangement.
- Please remove all large stamens from flowers prior to arrival. Falling pollen may adhere to and stain museum objects.
- The Springfield Museums Curatorial and Exhibit staff will determine the exact placement of the pedestal for each floral arrangement.
- All elements of the floral arrangements must be at least 12 inches from all museum objects.
- Staff will secure the floral arrangement container to the pedestal using museum putty if necessary at the time of set up.
- If a floral arrangement is deemed unstable, museum staff reserves the right to stabilize the arrangement in the manner of their choosing.
Care and Maintenance Regulations
- Watering of the floral arrangements will be conducted by museum staff only. Special care instructions may be submitted to staff, if so desired. A form for this purpose will be available at the time of delivery.
- Misting floral arrangements is not permitted in the galleries.
- If it is necessary to care for and maintain your floral arrangement during the four-day event, please obtain a Festival of Flowers exhibitor badge in the Security Office located in Blake House before proceeding to your arrangement.
- Maintenance materials may not be stored at the Springfield Museums.
- Friday, April 5; 9-10 am
- Saturday, April 6, 9-10 am
- Sunday, April 7, 10-11 am
Other Important Information
- All participants’ names and businesses, if applicable, will be listed on the floral arrangement label, as well as on the event map distributed to all visitors of the Springfield Museums during the Festival of Flowers weekend.
- If you must withdraw from Festival of Flowers, please notify the Springfield Museums as soon as possible.
- The Springfield Museums reserve the right not to display arrangements considered to be inappropriate or not of show quality.
- The Springfield Museums are not responsible for damaged or broken containers.
- For questions and concerns, please contact Larissa Murray at email@example.com or 413.314.6486.