Call for Entries!
The Springfield Museums are pleased to announce the Gingerbread: The Pop Culture Edition exhibit and competition. Interested bakeries, schools, organizations, individuals and young people are invited to submit design plans for imaginative gingerbread houses and displays by November 9, 2018. Any structure is eligible, whether the design is based on pop culture or traditional holiday scenes. Selected gingerbread houses will be on display from November 23-December 31, 2018, in a large holiday exhibit with creative murals, festively decorated trees, and other enchanting elements.
November 9 Final Entry Deadline
November 12 Final acceptance notifications sent via email
November 19 Gingerbread House Drop-Off Day
November 23 Exhibit opening, awards, and holiday family programs
Nov 23-Dec 31 Gingerbread: The Pop Culture Edition open to the public
January 2 Gingerbread House Pick-Up Day
ENTERING and QUALIFYING TO ENTER
Only one (1) gingerbread house per entry form will be accepted. To be eligible for the competition, a signed and completed entry form must be received by email, fax or mail prior to 5 p.m. on Friday, November 9, 2018. Gingerbread houses that are not pre-registered will not be accepted.
The Gingerbread: The Pop Culture Edition Competition entry form must be signed by the individual entering the competition. If the individual is younger than the age of eighteen (18) by the date of the gingerbread house delivery day, a signature from a parent, legal guardian, or teacher is required.
Entrants will be notified about selection decisions within one week of submitting an entry form (or no later than Monday, November 12). Accepted bakers will receive an email with an entry number, important information about label text that will be displayed next to the gingerbread house, and other updates and instructions.
In the event that you are no longer able to deliver a gingerbread display and must withdraw from the competition, please notify Larissa Murray at 413.314.6486 or email@example.com.
- Professional Division: Bakeries, Caterers, or Professional Bakers
- Adult Division: Individual or group adult, age 19 & up
- Youth Division: Individual or group youth, age 13-18
- Family Division: Families participating with children, ages 12 and under
JUDGING PROCESS and CRITERIA
Visitors will vote for their favorite gingerbread entry in each division throughout the opening day on Friday, November 23. Only one ballot per visitor is allowed. Ballots cast between 10:00 am and 3:45 pm on November 23 will determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in each division for the Gingerbread: Pop Culture Edition Opening Day Awards Ceremony. In the event of a tie, the Chairperson of the Gingerbread Committee will determine a winner based on the following criteria: Overall Appearance; Originality & Creativity; and Difficulty & Precision.
Visitors to the Gingerbread: Pop Culture Edition exhibition will continue to vote for their favorite entries in the ongoing People’s Choice Awards until December 31. Updates and the final winners in each division will be posted on the Springfield Museums’ blog.
The Opening Day Awards Ceremony will be held at 4:00 pm on Friday, November 23 outside of the exhibit entrance in the Springfield Science Museum. Winners in each division will receive:
- First Place: A household membership to the Springfield Museums ($125 value) and a $50 gift basket.
- Second Place: A household membership to the Springfield Museums ($125 value) and a $25 gift basket.
- Third Place: A household membership to the Springfield Museums ($125 value).
CONTEST RULES (FOR ALL DIVISIONS)
- The entry must be original – no gingerbread kits allowed – and must have been constructed in 2018.
- Entries are encouraged to fit into the following thematic areas: 1) a design based on pop culture, 2) a traditional holiday design. The entry does not necessarily have to be in the shape of a traditional “house.” Large scenes or other types of structures/objects are also allowed.
- The entry’s major components (such as sides, roofs, etc.) must be constructed of gingerbread, not graham crackers, cookies, gingerbread cake, etc. The rest of the display can be decorated with any edible material.
- All visible components of the display must be edible. For example, plastic wrapped candies must be unwrapped; any paper or plastic stems of lollipops should be removed or concealed; tin foil bases should be entirely covered with edible materials, etc. Any internal structural support for large gingerbread houses does not have to be edible as long as it is not visible from any angle.
- You may add electric lighting and/or motorized movement to your entry. Any light bulbs or wires should be integrated into the display and/or concealed as best as possible.
- The entry must be delivered in completed form attached to a sturdy base (plywood recommended) enabling it to be freestanding. Bases must be completely concealed with an edible product except for the side edges, which can be trimmed with ribbon or other material.
- Participants must register for the competition by November 9. Entry forms may be obtained online at SpringfieldMuseums.org, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 413.314.6486. All completed gingerbread structures must be delivered to the Museum on Monday, November 19, 2018 and will remain on display from November 23-December 31. They may not be picked up earlier than January 2, 2019.
- The Museums reserve the right to not display an entry considered to be inappropriate or not show quality.
ENTRY DROP OFF and PICK UP
Completed gingerbread structures must be delivered to the Springfield Science Museum between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm on Monday, November 19. No exceptions. Bakers will be asked to review and edit their exhibit label text when dropping off their gingerbread display.
The location of gingerbread displays in the exhibition hall will be determined by Museum staff. The Springfield Museums cannot be held responsible for any damages incurred to the displays while on the Museums’ property, but staff will take extra precautions to help ensure the safety of each entry.
Entries can be picked up on Wednesday, January 2 at the Springfield Science Museum between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm. Entries not picked up by 5 pm on January 2 will be discarded.