This is an online class!
Scratch is a graphical and block-based language good for younger students or beginners of any age. Students will learn programing concepts while creating fun games, activities, and stories. Most programing is done by dragging and dropping blocks with minimal typing. Many graphical characters called “sprites” are supplied along with a large variety of actions they perform. While this is a good language for beginners, it is also possible to continue learning more advanced concepts and produce detailed, more complex creations.
Instructor: Kevin Kopchynski
Ages 8 and up
Monday, Wednesday 1-3 pm;
Four classes: August 10, 12, 17, 19
Watch this orientation video if you are new to Zoom: https://youtu.be/hIkCmbvAHQQ. You may download and install the Zoom application at any time. We recommend you do this after you enroll in class or at least one day prior to your first online class. Choose the download option that best fits your technology. Unless you will be using an iPad or mobile device, the first option is most likely the one you’ll need.
The Day of Class
1. You will receive an invitation and password to join the class from Kevin Kopchynski. Class will begin at 1 pm. Kevin will be on Zoom a few minutes before.
2. You may login early, but if you step away from your computer before class starts leave Zoom open.
3. Connection is better if you close all web browsers on your computer while on Zoom.
4. Due to high volume on Zoom, connection may be imperfect at times.
5. If you have technical issues during class, quit Zoom and then login again. If you still have trouble, shut down your computer, wait 2-minutes, and then try again.
6. You will need to have your camera on during class, and the ability to share your screen during class.
7. You may add a photo to your profile; see these instructions. This is optional.
8. Wear a headset or earbuds or close a door to help limit background noise during class.
9. You will receive a recommended supply list so you can plan ahead and have your materials ready when the class starts.