Explore American sports and entertainment through iconic art and artifacts from the Smithsonian. Each object tells a unique story, showing how pop culture influences our lives, now and in the past.
Made possible by the generous support of the MassMutual Foundation.
Pop! Icons of American Culture from the Smithsonian
December 7, 2018–February 24, 2019
Explore the ways popular culture has played a major role in influencing and expressing the sentiments of generations of Americans. Includes artifacts on loan from the extensive collections of the National Museum of American History, National Portrait Gallery, National Air and Space Museum, and National Museum of African American History and Culture.
The Springfield Museums have been formally accepted as an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. The Smithsonian is recognized as one of the world’s foremost museum and research institutions, with 19 museums and over 200 affiliates spread across the U.S. and its territories.
Smithsonian Affiliations is a national outreach program that develops long-term, high-quality partnerships with museums and educational organizations in order to share collections, exhibitions, learning opportunities and research expertise.
In identifying possible candidates for affiliation, the Smithsonian seeks out organizations that share a common mission, a commitment to education and public service, and have the capability of bringing Smithsonian artifacts, exhibits, and programs to their venues. Candidates are subject to a rigorous application process involving all aspects of their organization, from their leadership and financial structure to a review of their collections management and programming protocols.
Those selected to be Affiliates enjoy a range of benefits, from facilitated object and exhibit loans and discounted Smithsonian memberships for their patrons to custom-developed education, performing arts, and public programs. Given the diverse multi-disciplinary nature of our art, history, and science collections and programs, the Springfield Museums are natural choice to become a Smithsonian Affiliate.
The partnership has been made possible through the generous support of the MassMutual Foundation.
Get Two Memberships in One
- An annual subscription to Smithsonian Magazine (one year subscription) or Air & Space Magazine (six issues)*
- 10% off all purchases from Smithsonian catalogue and Smithsonianstore.com
- Discounts on dining at the Smithsonian
- 10% discount on all IMAX tickets at the Smithsonian
- Exclusive travel programs and study tour opportunities
- Free admission to the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York
- Access to the members-only website at affiliations.si.edu/members
- Discounts at participating Smithsonian Affiliate institutions and national retailers
- Smithsonian magazine online
- Travelogues from Smithsonian Journeys offering members opportunities to see the full range of travel and tours from the Smithsonian
- Downloadable Civil War app from Smithsonian Books
- Quarterly online newsletter from Smithsonian Affiliations
- Reciprocal Admission Benefits at participating Smithsonian Affiliates