The Springfield Museums’ Weekend Family Fun series will continue on Saturday, March 3, from 10 am-4 pm with a Dr. Seuss’s Birthday Celebration. Theodor Seuss Geisel was born in Springfield on March 2, 1904.
Weekend Family Fun programs are sponsored by TD Bank through the TD Charitable Foundation. Activities are free with museum admission unless noted.
“Wings, Paws, Fins and Claws,” a free Cat in the Hat activity book, will be given to the first 100 children at the Museums, courtesy of PBS Kids.
- The ABCs of Dr. Seuss, 10:30 and 11:30 am; 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30 pm – An engaging program especially for young children.
- Haiku, Hip Hop and Hot Dogs by the Crabgrass Puppet Theater, noon and 2 pm – Imagine a symphony composed by swimming goldfish, watch the exploits of “Fearless Flying Hotdogs,” dance with the “Funky Snowman,” “Keep a Poem in Your Pocket,” but “Do Not Approach an Emu!”
- Visit the WGBY Mobile Media Lab and try out new Cat in the Hat games from PBS Kids (10 am-2 pm)
- “Dr. Seuss Takes the Cake” contest. Vote for your favorite Seuss-themed cake decorated and donated by area bakeries. (11 am-2:30 pm) The winner will be announced at 3 pm. Cake will not be served, but a free drawing will be held for the cakes.
- Meet the Cat in the Hat (11:30 am-3:30 pm)
- Go on a scavenger hunts in the art and history museums. (10 am-4:45 pm)
- Design your own Cat in the Hat-style hat (10:30 am-2 pm)
- Demonstrations by the Roving Scientist (11 am-2 pm)
- Planetarium shows (11:15 am, noon, 1 & 2 pm; additional fee)
- Design a Dr. Seuss birthday banner (noon-3:45 pm)
- See live frogs from around the world in the special exhibit Frogs: A Chorus of Colors. (additional fee)
Free onsite parking is available in the Edwards Street parking lots.