The Springfield Museums at the Quadrangle and WGBY Public Television for Western New England’s Latino Advisory Board will host “Family Fiesta Day,” an event celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, on Saturday, October 13, from 10 am to 4 pm.
Family Fiesta Day is sponsored by Baystate Health, Pride Stations & Stores and Springfield Technical Community College. Activities are free with the price of museum admission. Admission is free for Springfield residents, Museum and WGBY members.
Scheduled Performances & Demonstrations
- Bomba y Plena Demonstration– Percussion-driven musical traditions from Puerto Rico; 11:15 am-noon.
- Food Sampling – Assortment of traditional Latin American foods provided by local restaurants; noon-1:30 pm.
- Güiro Demonstration – Latin-American percussion instrument consisting of a hollow gourd with parallel notches cut in one side; 12:15-12:45 pm.
- Salsa lessons, 1-1:45 pm.
- MarKamusic Demonstration & Performance – Traditional, folkloric and pop music of Latin American origin, fused with Latin jazz and western instruments; 2-2:45 pm & 3:45-4:30 pm.
- Parade of Hispanic Heritage & WGBY Digital Stories – Local students share facts about Latin American countries, dressed in traditional folk attire, followed by an original documentary presentation; 3:15-3:45 pm.
- Special Exhibition – Sisterhood: Mixed Media Paintings by Rosa Ibarra; 10 am-5 p.m.
- Art Activity – Sea Glass Mosaics, inspired by Ibarra’s artwork; 11 am-3 pm.
- Dominoes; 11 am-3 pm.
- Art Activity – Make a flag activity; noon-3:45 pm.