Each month, The Springfield Museums offer visitors a variety of lectures and gallery tours. On Thursdays, the popular Museums à la Carte lectures are held at 12:15 pm in the Michele and Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts. Admission is $4 ($2 for members of the Springfield Museums), and visitors are invited to bring lunch to enjoy during the program. Cookies and coffee are provided; the programs are sponsored by Big Y World Class Market. This month’s lectures include:
- March 7 – Welcome to the Graveyard: A tour of cemetery art & symbolism. Brenda Sullivan, Proprietrix of The Gravestone Girls, traces the evolution of gravestone art from the colonial and Victorian eras through the present.
- March 14 – Mary Margaret O’Connell, Lowell Mill Girl. Professional storyteller. Sharon Kennedy gives a gripping performance as an Irish mill girl living and working as a weaver in the mills in 1847.
- March 21 – Archaeology of the Western Front: Bunkers, Bombs, Bullets & Booze. Ed and Libby Klekowski reveal the secrets they’ve unearthed in exploring World War I battlefields. Their discoveries have inspired two WGBY documentaries and their book, Eyewitness to the Great War.
- March 28 – Vincent van Gogh: 900 paintings, 1200 drawings. What's with such universal popularity? Van Gogh’s work continues to resonate with audiences across the world. Art expert Charles Hayward explores the elusive questions of why and how these works have such universal impact,
For more information about Museums à la Carte, call 413.263.6800, ext. 488.
A new element to the Museums’ line-up is the addition of informal half-hour “mini-tours” every Sunday at 1 pm. Led by volunteer docent educators, the mini-tours are designed to highlight a different element of the unique collections of one of the four museums. The mini-tours are free with Museum admission. This month’s scheduled topics are:
- March 3 – The Many Faces of French Impressionism, presented by Nancy Mason, D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts.
- March 10 – American Identity: 19th- Century Genre and Trompe l’oeil, presented by Deena Maniscalchi, D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts.
- March 17 – Classical Casts, presented by Ellen Peck Killoh, George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum.
- March 24 – Foot Artillery Sword, presented by Bobby Girard, Wood Museum of Springfield History.
Visitors are encouraged to check the Museums’ website or to check in the Welcome Center for an updated schedule of mini-tours.