The Springfield Museums’ monthly tour and lecture schedule continues in November with the popular Thursday Museums à la Carte lectures, held weekly at 12:15 p.m. in the Michele and Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts. Admission is $4 ($2 for members of the Springfield Museums); visitors are invited to bring lunch (cookies and coffee are provided). The programs are sponsored by Big Y World Class Market. For more information about Museums à la Carte, call 413.263.6800, ext. 488.
This month’s lectures include:
- November 7 – Andrew Wyeth: Looking Beyond. Erin Monroe, Assistant Curator of American Paintings and Sculpture at the Wadsworth Athenaeum Museum of Art, explores the poignant imagery and masterful technique of Andrew Wyeth, one of the twentieth century’s most celebrated artists.
- November 14 – Henry A. Sykes: A Connecticut Architect Working in the Pioneer Valley. Dr. David H. Hosford, Professor Emeritus of History at Rutgers University, will highlight the career of Henry Alexander Sykes, an important mid-nineteenth century New England architect whose surviving work encompasses fine examples of both Greek and Gothic revival among other styles.
- November 21 – Rockin’ Robin Lunchtime Concert. Dave Mindell, “the Rockin’Robin,” performs rock-n-roll classics from the 50’s through the 70’s.
(No lecture on November 28 due to Thanksgiving)
Also scheduled in November are informal half-hour “mini-tours” every Sunday at 1 PM by volunteer docent educators. The tours highlight a different element of the unique collections of one of the four museums, and are free with Museum admission (check with the Welcome Center staff or the Museums’ website for an updated schedule of mini-tours). Topics for November are:
- November 3 – 19th Century Children: At Work and At Play; Pat McCarthy, D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts. A discussion of the changing images of children in the late 19th century.
- November 10 – The Valley Contemporary Art Scene; Adele Gladstone-Gilbert, DMFA. An examination of the many noteworthy contemporary artists represented in the Museum of Fine Arts that have made the Pioneer Valley their home.
- November 17 – American Legends: Calder to O’Keefe; Muriel Kowlessar, DMFA. An overview of works in the Museum of Fine Arts by artists who are currently represented in an exhibit of the same name at New York's Whitney.
- November 24 – Tiffany Windows: Creation to Installation; Ann Dansereau, George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum. A look at the many unique and distinctive examples of Tiffany glass on display in the “George Walter.”
Monthly Walking Tours are presented in collaboration with the Armoury-Quadrangle Civic Association (AQCA). On November 9 from 10:30 am – noon, historian Frances Gagnon will give a tour titled “Dickens in Springfield” highlighting the famous author’s time here in Springfield. Walking tours are free for Springfield Museums and AQCA members, $5 nonmembers, and start at the Museums’ Welcome Center.