Family fun is in store for visitors to the Springfield Museums from July 9 through August 17 during “Summer Spectacular,” six weeks of live performances, music, puppet shows, art activities, and hands-on science activities. Live performances will be offered on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted.
The premier summer sponsor is Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). The live performances are also supported in part by Berkshire Bank.
Daily Activities, July 9-13
- Enter the royal world of castles and kings and test your building skills with a visit to the special exhibit LEGO® Castle Adventure, 10 am-5 pm
- Art-making activity: Color a fuzzy bug magnet, noon-3:45 pm
- Family Science Adventures: Find the Roving Scientist and discover the wonders of science through activities and demonstrations, 10 am-2 pm
- Planetarium Shows, 11:15 am, noon, 1 pm, and 2 pm (additional fee)
Tuesday, July 10
- Hands-on Activity Cart – Artifacts: Examine objects that were popular 100 years ago and play interactive games; 10:30 am-12:30 pm
Wednesday, July 11
- Performance: Bugging Out by Marvelous Marvin – Magic, music and poetry reveal fascinating bug facts and their importance to people; 1 pm
Thursday, July 12
- Hands-on Activity Cart – Art: Handle artists’ tools, learn about styles and composition, enjoy games and puzzles; 10:30 am-12:30- pm
- Performance: Rhythm Dances from Around the World by Okra Dance Company, 1 pm
Friday, July 13
- Performance: Cinderella by the Tanglewood Marionettes – The original beloved tale with a few new surprises as told by a dozen lavishly costumed marionettes, 1 pm
Summer admission is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors and college students, $8 for children 3-17, and free for children under three and museum members. General admission is free for Springfield residents with proof of address.
The admission fee includes access to the following special exhibitions: LEGO® Castle Adventure; Tiffany Lamps: Articles of Utility, Objects of Art; In Company with Angels: Seven Rediscovered Tiffany Windows; Storm Stories: Path of Fury; and Stickwork: Outdoor Sculpture by Patrick Dougherty.