The Springfield Museums’ monthly tour and lecture schedule continues in March with the popular Thursday Museums à la Carte lectures, held weekly at 12:15 pm in the Michele and Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts. Admission is $4 ($2 for members of the Springfield Museums); visitors are invited to bring lunch (cookies and coffee are provided). The programs are sponsored by Big Y World Class Market. For more information about Museums à la Carte, call 413.263.6800, ext. 488.
- March 6 – Unlaunch’d Voices: An Evening with Walt Whitman. Through poetry and readings of actual letters, actor Stephen Collins enables audiences to experience Whitman's growth into a mature artist at peace with "himself, God and death."
- March 13 – Stories of a Fiddler. Sarah Michel, a.k.a “Sarah The Fiddler,” will cover various fiddle styles from Irish to Bluegrass, along with stories of Sarah’s own experiences in New England Fiddle Contests.
- March 20 – Introduction to Arts of the Islamic World. Kendra Weisbin, guest curator of George Walter Vincent Smith Islamic Gallery, will offer a broad introduction to the art of the Islamic world, and discuss some of the highlights from the Museums' collection.
- March 27 – Leaving van Gogh: Fact and Fiction in a Historical Novel. Author Carol Wallace discusses the challenge and inspiration involved in bringing Vincent to fictional life – and death.
Also scheduled in March are informal half-hour “mini-tours” every Sunday at 1 pm by volunteer docent educators. The tours highlight a different element of the unique collections of one of the four museums, and are free with Museum admission (check with the Welcome Center staff or the Museums’ website for an updated schedule of mini-tours). Topics for March are:
- March 2 – Mr. Barney: the Man Who Put America on Ice-Skates! Bobby Girard, Wood Museum of Springfield History.
- March 9 – How the Hudson River School Landscape Artists captured the American Soul during the 19 Century, Kate Belhumeur, D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts.
- March 16 – Man & War, Betty Romer, DMFA.
- March 23 – Fakes and Forgeries: Intent to Deceive Special Exhibition, Adele Gladstone-Gilbert, DMFA.
- March 30 – Revolution vs. Tradition: A look at Modernism and Regionalism in the early 20th Century, Pat McCarthy, DMFA.