On Saturday, March 5, the Springfield Museums will host their annual Dr. Seuss Birthday Celebration from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Theodor Seuss Geisel was born in Springfield on March 2, 1904, and the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden is located on the Museums’ Quadrangle. That legacy is celebrated each year with a day full of family activities, performances, and appearances by the Cat in the Hat himself. The celebration, one of the most popular of the Museums’ annual events, is part of the Family Fun series which is supported by the TD Charitable Foundation. Activities are free with museum admission unless otherwise noted.
- Toe Jam Variety Show by The Toe Jam Puppet Band (11 a.m. and 1 p.m., D’Amour MFA). Interactive songs, stories, and puppets including a barn dance, flying laundry, and a car wash song (beware of random sprays of water!).
- Laughs & Illusions (12 – 1 p.m., Wood Museum of History). A regular performer at Boston Symphony Hall, Magician Matt Roberts presents a unique and comedic show that builds to a crescendo.
The Cat in the Hat and Things 1 and 2 will also be prowling the Quadrangle, and Seuss-inspired birthday cakes and other creations will be on display throughout the museum campus. A host of Seuss-themed activities are also scheduled, including:
- Play with Oobleck (10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.) Explore the non-Newtonian properties of the substance that nearly covered Bartholomew and the Kingdom of Didd in The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.
- Follow in Dr. Seuss’ Footsteps (10:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.) A visual scavenger hunt featuring places that Theodor Geisel visited during his childhood in Springfield that may have inspired his famous illustrations.
- Seuss Storytime (1 – 3 p.m.) Especially for our littlest visitors! Gather on the rug to read some of your favorite Dr. Seuss books aloud together.
- My Many Colored Days Sensory Activity (10:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.) Explore a color mixing activity inspired by the classic Dr. Seuss book that explores connections between colors and emotions.
The day’s events will culminate in a rendition of “Happy Birthday” at 3 p.m. at the Wood Museum of Springfield History, complete with mini-cupcakes provided by Peter Gray of Pete’s Sweets. There will also be ongoing art and science activities at the Art Discovery Center (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) and Seymour Planetarium shows, Science Museum (11:15 a.m., noon, 1 & 2 p.m.; additional fee).