The Springfield Museums “Summer Spectacular” series of family fun will continue the week of August 6-10 with a live animal show, a multi-cultural musical performance, and a puppet show in addition to special exhibitions and activities. Live performances will be offered on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 1 pm. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted.
The premier summer sponsor is Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). The live performances are also supported in part by Berkshire Bank.
Daily Activities, August 6-10
- Enter the royal world of castles and kings and test your building skills with a visit to the special exhibit LEGO® Castle Adventure, 10 am-5 pm
- Art-making activity: Make a safari animal mask, noon-3:45 pm
- Family Science Adventures: Find the Roving Scientist and discover the wonders of science through activities and demonstrations, 10 am-2 pm
- Planetarium Shows, 11:15 am, noon, 1 pm, and 2 pm (additional fee)
Tuesday, August 7
- Hands-on Artifact Activity Cart – Examine objects that were popular 100 years ago and play interactive games; 10:30 am-12:30 pm
Wednesday, August 8
- Performance: Premium Live Animal Show by Animal Adventures – Meet some exotic creatures you won’t find in your own backyard; 1 pm
Thursday, August 9
- Hands-on Art Activity Cart – Handle artists’ tools, learn about styles and composition, enjoy games and puzzles; 10:30 am-12:30- pm
- Performance: One Heart/One World by Playtivity – A participatory musical event that begins with a Native American ceremony and ends with an African drum and dance celebration; 1 pm
Friday, August 10
- Performance: The Last Dragon by the Puppet People– A timely retelling of a fairy tale exploring issues of stereotypes, discrimination, self-esteem, greed, and friendship. The show features a seven-foot dragon and a life-size knight on horseback; 1 pm
Free onsite parking is available.
The admission fee includes access to the following special exhibitions: LEGO® Castle Adventure; Tiffany Lamps: Articles of Utility, Objects of Art; Storm Stories: Path of Fury; and Room by Room, an outdoor “stickwork” sculpture by Patrick Dougherty.