The Springfield Museums “Summer Spectacular” series of family fun will continue the week of July 30-Aug. 3 with a fairy tale theater performance, a wacky music show, and a marionette performance in addition to special exhibitions and activities. Live performances will be offered on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 1 p.m. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted.
The premier summer sponsor is Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). The live performances are also supported in part by Berkshire Bank.
Daily Activities, July 30-Aug. 3
- Enter the royal world of castles and kings and test your building skills with a visit to the special exhibit LEGO® Castle Adventure, 10 am-5 pm
- Art-making activity: Make a princess picture frame or color your own dragon, noon-3:45 pm
- Family Science Adventures: Find the Roving Scientist and discover the wonders of science through activities and demonstrations, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Planetarium Shows, 11:15 am, noon, 1 pm, and 2 pm (additional fee)
Tuesday, July 31
- Hands-on Artifact Activity Cart – Examine objects that were popular 100 years ago and play interactive games; 10:30 am-12:30 pm
Wednesday, August 1
- Performance: Once Upon a Time by Behind the Mark Theatre – Fairy tales from the Brothers Grimm, Charles Perrault, Italo Calvino, and Celtic Legend; 1 pm
Thursday, August 2
- Hands-on Art Activity Cart – Handle artists’ tools, learn about styles and composition, enjoy games and puzzles; 10:30 am-12:30- pm
- Performance: Razzle Dazzle Man by Richard Stillman – This multi-talented performer will teach the audience to play the washboard, blow a musical soda straw, and dance the Charleston; 1 pm
Friday, August 3
- Performance: Wasabi: A Dragon’s Tale by the No Strings Marionette Company – A modern-minded fairy tale featuring a fire-breathing dragon and a spunky princess; 1 pm
Summer admission is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors and college students, $8 for children 3-17, and free for children under three and museum members. General admission is free for Springfield residents with proof of address.
The admission fee includes access to the following special exhibitions: LEGO® Castle Adventure; Tiffany Lamps: Articles of Utility, Objects of Art; In Company with Angels: Seven Rediscovered Tiffany Windows; Storm Stories: Path of Fury; and Room by Room, an outdoor “stickwork” sculpture by Patrick Dougherty.